Does Debbie

Monday, March 14, 2005

A disastrous Aura?

About a month ago, I was sitting in a conference room at work, chitchatting with some co-workers about weight loss and dating, while we were awaiting the arrival of the last attendee. This conference room, Elmhurst (all of the conference rooms at my company are named after New York locales, i.e. Gramercy, Columbia, Herarld Square. Cute, right? Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but this brings up a joke I can't refrain from sharing: What do Brooklyn and Panty Hose have in common? "Flatbush") was in the corner of the building, with lots of windows. As it was cloudy out, it was gray in the room.

But enter co-worker, George, and quite biblically, the clouds parted and there was weird brightness. Rather than do work, of course, we used this opportunity to tell George about his bright presence, and being the spiritual guru that he is, George started talking about people's auras. George believes that your aura is your driving presence in life. For example, people who give off negative auras tend to have more "accidents" in life.

My entire disastrous history flashed through my mind: spilling coffee all over my ex-boyfriends sofa, covering my father's black car with yellow road paint, getting a concussion on the ski slopes while STANDING on the side of the mountain, out to brunch with 10 girls and being the person that has 5 mimosas spilled all over me. Yup, there was a definite trend going on. Did this mean that I had a bad aura?? Were my "incidents" the result of a negative subconscious? I conducted an experiment to see what would happen if I focused on a positive aura- would my luck change? Would I still fall and embarrass myself in public? We would see...

Flash forward 33.4 days later. Positive aura aside, I made a mental check list of all my disasters. Or shall I say lack of. A weekend of skiing and snowmobiling without a scratch on my hand- check. A handful of dates without tripping or spilling- check. With the exception of breaking off a piece of caulking in my shower, all in all it has been a disaster-free month. By george, he's right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home