Does Debbie

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Gone Golfing

As with most sports, either you're born with talent, or you suffer through years of acquiring talent. Throwing a football: talent. Catching a football: no talent. Running long distances: talent. Running fast: no talent. Hitting a golf ball: talent. Driving a golf cart: no talent.

To understand that last comment, I need to take you back to the 26th day of December, 2004. I was in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, staying at the beautiful Punta Cana Resort with a few friends. The resort has an 18-hole golf course right on the Caribbean Sea; it couldn't be any nicer. As this was only my 3rd time on the golf course (but a pro at the driving range might I add) we had decided to play the front 9 holes. Rob and I against Kim and Dan.

We rocked. Rob and I were amazing. Ttechnically Rob was, but there is no "I" in team. We looked like we had been playing since we were teenagers (um. Rob has.) Dan and Kim were good as well (adding this in case they read.) We had made it through the first 4 or so holes and then I conducted the biggest gaffe on golf course history.

Being new to golf I was still learning the rules. Like when to yell "fore or four or whatever it's called" and when to let people tee off in front of you. I even knew how to drive the golf cart. But at that fateful moment when Rob was hitting and I wanted to catch up to him in the golf cart, I didn't know that what I was driving into was not the pathway, but rather the sand trap.

Yes, I drove into the sandtrap. And not just a foot or so into it. I drive halfway through the fucking thing. It looked like the road. I didn't know.

Rob and crew died when they saw what I did. To this day, the memory of me sitting in the golf cart in the middle of the sand trap brings Rob to tears of laughter. I was embarassed. And you know what? I kinda still am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home