Does Debbie

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Tasty Banana

Another random occurrence at work:

As gross as it is to think about them, there are rats in New York City. Yes, we have all seen them scurrying along the subway tracks (and it amazes me that I have yet to see one smushed by the approaching train) and when we venture very east and very south in the city. And there are those of us who have had the misfortune of seeing a rat in their apartment- no one I know, blessed be he. But according to some NYC article, there are a few million of our little gray friends sharing this metropolis wonderland with us.

I have never seen a rat at work, and frankly, if I do, I might not be working there much longer. And to prevent me from this form of quitting, my company does everything they can to prevent the appearance of such gross rodents. Including placing traps. This might seem like a normal procedure, except that the traps are in the middle of the floor, and the traps assume that the rats (and not to ignore their fellow furry friends, the mice) can read.

In the hallway, next to the filing cabinet, lies a sticky rodent trap with a bright yellow array of bananas, and in big, black type, "Tasty Banana." Now here is where the weirdness sets in. Just who exactly cares if the trap tastes like banana? I'm not going to throw peanut butter on it and start chowing down. And I'm as sure as the sky is blue, that the rat has no clue what a banana looks like. I guess the rats can read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home