Does Debbie

Monday, September 12, 2005

Older Sister

As a product of my father's second marriage, I have a half-sister Samantha. When people ask how many sisters I have, the accurate answer is 1 1/2, but if you were to see the two of us interact, you would think we shared both parents. We look very similar. We are both smart and funny and attractive (although I would kill for her figure.) But she is 15 and I am 32. This is where things get a little weird.

Given that I am at the age where I should have kids of my own, some of my parental instincts have kicked in. Definitely more so than, say, 5 years ago. And Samantha is at the age where she wants to defy anything having to do with the word "parent" and follow her own instincts.
Like most? many? a few? 15 year olds, Sam has discovered alcohol. And other party items. She is into boys and clothes and sports. See, told you we're similar.

Sam tells me what she does with her friends in confidence. I am her cool oldest sister. And I don't tell her parents. But it's weird- part of me feels like I should. I want her to be safe. I want to act like the adult I am. I'm torn between sister and parent.

Sister is winning. For now...

1 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Dan Eisenberg said…

    why can't you do both. Be a sister, but an older sister whom she comes to for advice and guidance. LIke everyone, I am sure you made some mistakes, have some regrets from your teenage years. See if you can sve your siter from it while maintaining the confidence. If however, she is engaging in very risky behavior you might have an obligation to intercede.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home