Does Debbie

Friday, September 30, 2005

Only in New York

One of the reasons I fell in love with the great city of New York is because just like life- you never know what to expect with it. On the most ordinary day the extraordinary can occur. Or perhaps, the extraordinary morphs into the ordinary. I know, enough of the metaphoric language- get to your point Debbie.

Today happened to be one of those days. Typical Friday at work: free bagels for breakfast. Hours upon hours of meetings with minimal time for lunch but plenty of time to hit the vending machine. Several times. A few IMS with friends, even more meetings, then time to go home.

Fortunately, I live 5 blocks from where I work so my commute is about 7 minutes, walking. My walk is fairly routine: the biggest decision is to walk from Lex to Park on 26th or 27th streets. But today's walk home from work was anything from routine.

First of all, there was a homeless woman sitting outside Starbucks. As I was walking by, I could have sworn I saw a woman in a suit hand her a pamphlet and explain, "... Mary Kay Cosmetics. Thank you for taking this. Everyone else in this city is just so rude." I had to laugh. How profitable will the homeless woman become. I can't really imagine her spending her pennies on new mascara when she was eating garbage for dinner. But hell, at least she'll be the most attractive bum on the block.


After walking by Starbucks, I turned onto my block, only to walk by a couple having sex in the front seat of their car. While it was still daylight. Yup. This woman was straddling Mr. Audi, with the seat fully erect (nope, not going to say the obvious joke here.)

Lastly, I entered my apartment, to see the same set of glasses and keys sitting on the foyer table. The same set that were there last night. Now call me crazy, but if you lost your keys in your apartment building, you wouldn't get too far. Like into your apartment. So you would head back out to find them- passing the table. Or you would need a locksmith, and walk by the table. And the crazy part is that the keys were still there a day later.

As Liz Smith likes to say, "only in New York folks."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home