Does Debbie

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Nail Salon Hardsell

To most New York women, going to the nail salon is not just for the upcoming wedding or vacation; it is a weekly or bi-weekly ritual. The root of this probably has less to do with the high-maintenance mindset of a woman, but rather that the prices are so damn cheap. $19.99 for a mani/pedi Monday- Wednesday is unheard of.

Usually the experience is a relaxing one. The leg massage during the pedicure, the soapy warm water for the manicure. It's great. The manicurists usually don't speak English, so you can read the latest Us Weekly in silence, as your back vibrates in the psuedo massage chair/pedicure stall. However, yesterday, my manicurist was anything but silent.

"Would you like a massage?" was how it all began as she saw my eyes roll to the back of my head while she gently rubbed my feet.

"$10 for 15 minutes." This woman must have been on commission.

"Would you like quick dry?" $1 extra. "You have a very pretty smile. Nice teeth. Massage?" Nice approach with the compliment first.

"We are empty today. I give you massage. Hot stone and towels." Does a happy ending come with that?

"Massagie? I new here. $10 for 15 minutes." I didn't have the time. I had a train to make.

"$5 for 10 minutes."

Sold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home