Does Debbie

Monday, November 28, 2005

My Thanksgiving Break

So, I thought that my Thanksgiving vacation would go off without a hitch. You know, I'd eat some turkey, play a few games of SCRABBLE with the family, sleep. I expected the usual suspects to attend Thanksgiving dinner: grandma, sis, aunts, uncles, mom and step-dad.

Fortunately for you, it didn't. I guess the best way to re-cap this story called my life, is to go in chronological order.

Wednesday: Took the train home in 2 hours and 20 minutes to Baltimore. Wow, new non-Acela record.


Thursday: My mom invited over one of her younger co-workers and her husband. They were 27 years old and Mormons. Loved it. The conversation turned to Mormon missions and the guidelines they live by: no caffeine, no alcohol, no curse words. Enough said. But since she reads my blog, I do want to say that they were an adorable couple. And yes, she is his only wife. Polygamy is banned from Mornomisn, as you should know.

Thursday got even more interesting when my step-sister brought a recent war vet to dinner as his family was displaced in NoLa from Katrina. That went well, until my uncle told an amputee joke.

Friday: Found out that my friend who has dated a fireman and her cable guy is now dating a stripper.

Saturday: Ran into my high school prom date at a baby naming. I think he's gay. Actually, I should say that I thought he was gay 14 years ago, and I was not convinced otherwise when I saw him.

Sunday: Was awoken by my dad asking what the hell happened to his car, as his bumper was all scratched. Deja Vu. I replayed the entire weekend in my mind and was completely unable to recall hitting another car, a pole, a homeless woman, or any other object that would cause a big black scratch on my dad's smooth silver bumper.

Sunday late morning: Grandma's 80th birtday party. Loved the fact that her sister got her a $100 gift certificate to JC Penneys. I didn't even know they were still around. And for the record, my sister and I got her a cashmere scarf and gloves.


Sunday night: Took the train back. It was a commuter train, which meant there was no place to put your tickets and no way to know just who gave their ticket to the conductor. So I'm sure that someone must have gotten a free ride from Amtrak. I wonder who?

1 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said…

    And if the Mormon couple didn't read you blog? What would you have called them then?

    I mean, if they saw a compliment, they might have taken it with a grain of salt because they knew you knew they'd read it. Nice of you to take all doubt out of the equation.

    :)

    P.S. By the way, how do you link a blog within a blog (ie: Deja Vu).

    P.S.S. I could have used a little help yesterday,

     

Post a Comment

<< Home