Does Debbie

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Commercial Scrooge

Preface: I love the holidays. I love giving gifts, and just as importantly, I love getting gifts.

Rant: There is something about the commercials on TV this time of year that just drives me crazy. This might be a result of having a career in marketing, and being a little too tuned in to the media around me. Although, I tend to think it is just because the commercials are as stupid as can be. Let me explain...

Lexus: There is a woman surfing the net for a gift for her husband. She is on a golf site, most likely looking for a new driver, or perhaps a private lesson or two. In the distance she sees a red ribbon on her neighbors door, but from her angle it looks like the ribbon is on her neighbors car. IDEA: I'll get my husband a Lexus for Christmas. Because that's what normal people do. They go out and spend $35,000 on a car and forget all about college tuition, retirement savings, weekly therapy and food. Hell, they'll starve for a year, but god damn it, her husband is going to have that Lexus.

Zales: This one kills me. The woman is decorating her tree and in walks her boyfriend with that "look" on his face. You know, the look where he has to take a massive shit. Or ask his girlfriend to marry him. Which he does. Under the tree. Barf.

Old Navy: Kristen Chenowith swaps her Galinda the good witch role from Wicked for Old Nave spokeswoman. Enough said.


Happy Holidays and wishing better holiday commercials in 2006.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Tracy said…

    I "love" the car commercial that shows a bike rider going down a curvy mountain road in the dark when a car pulls up behind him. He waves him on. The car lingers. The biker pedals faster. The car follows, his headlights illuminating the road ahead so the biker gets safely to the bottom of the hill at which point the biker is thankful. Um, can anyone say STALKER? How quickly would that biker be on his cell phone to 911 if he were being menaced by a stranger on a dark road???

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Old Navy commercials are the work of the Devil himself. No one could produce such atrocities without being the culmination of ultimate evil.

    Every time I see their ads for rib-neck zip sweaters or ultra low-rise boot cut jeans, it makes me want to flick a sleeping baby in the ear.

    Oh yeah and if you ever copy one of my posts again, I'll sue you. For several dollars. And some change too. The pain train is on its way baby, and you just bought yourself a first-class ticket.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Does Debbie said…

    Chris- that is totally weird. I have never even read your blog before! Kinda scary that we're on the same page...

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Whether we are on the same page (as you indicated as a possibility) or if it's a particular wavelength (as noted by tracy in the comments on my site), I'm just glad to be here.

    That made little or no sense.

    In other news, stalkers are people too. And very helpful, especially when a moron bike rider goes out at dusk on windy hills that don't have street lights or an appropriate shoulder area to ride in safely.

    I've never seen that commercial, but I hate it already.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home