Does Debbie

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Friends with Benefits

So I just spent the past 72 hours with my man's nieces. Twin girls, age 5, and their younger sister, age 2 1/2. I fell in love with these kids the first time I met them, and was so excited to spend a holiday weekend with them. More on how tired I am later.

Anyway, when I first met them in July, I felt like Jack Nicholson being asked for the truth by Tom Cruise. "Are you going to marry Uncle Matt when you grow up?" "Why aren't you a mommy?" I pulled some answer out of my ass that placated them (I might have told them I was a lesbian or infertile, or something like that.)

This time, before the trip, Matt warned me that they might call me Aunt Debbie. They were young. They liked me. Wishful thinking on their part, I assume.

No less than 2 hours into the trip, I was asked when Matt and I are getting married. I was able to ignore that question as no one else heard, but the next day, the question was asked again at the breakfast table. Matt's sister quickly answered that "Matt and Debbie are friends. And you don't marry all of your friends, right?" Good answer! At least until I realized what message she just sent to the girls. Matt and I shared a bed at their house. The girls woke us up every morning at 7:30am (woo-hoo!) They were going to think that all men and women who were friends shared a bed. And hugged and kissed. They were going to learn what "friends with benefits" were. They would have lots of "friends" in high school and college. They would lose their virginity in middle school and have babies in their 20's. They would be "just friends" with the next door neighbor. Oh no!

Would it have been easier to just say "I don't know?"

1 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said…

    I would think most women would have been thrilled to have someone but them bring up the topic. I'm confused. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home