Does Debbie

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Guess Who

Some things never seem to amaze me. Like the fact that I am 32 years old, and every time I call my mother, her first words are, "who's this?" (said with a smile in her voice.) She is completely serious with that question. After, I'd say, 4 calls a week for the past 14 years, not to mention the 18 years I lived with her, she can NOT tell my voice apart from my sister's.

Not kidding at all, my grandma with a hearing aid knows who I am every time I call, and she has a choice of 4 granddaughters that could be saying, "Hi Grandma." Yet, my mother has a 50/50 chance, and gets it wrong almost every time.

There are even occasions when she'll be embarrassed for not knowing, and fake it. She'll ask certain questions that she hopes will provide clues to the mystery daughter. Such as "How's work" and "what did you do last night" and "how's the sex lately" (kidding about the last one, but again, a way to distinguish between me and my sister.) For fun, I'll play along with whichever daughter she is leaning towards.

In addition to not knowing who I am when I call, my mother also has to ensure another embarrassment when the phone rings: her ring tone is Hava Nagila.


2 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    Every time I go back home to visit, the moment I walk in the door I hear my mom say "Who is that darkening my doorway?" She thinks it's cute and clever. I think it's annoying.

    If I don't start our phone conversations with "Hi Mom, it's Chris" then there will be a long pause as she tries to identify my voice.

    Oh and like all psychotic Catholics, her cell phone ring tone is the sound of Christ dying for our sins.

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, good, so at least it is not just a female thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home