Does Debbie

Friday, January 20, 2006

The Matchmaker

So as you know, I spent last week in Tulum, Mexico at the amazing Amansala resort. Within a few minutes of landing in Mexico, we met the other New Yorkers on the trip (and on our flight.) We all had to take a van to the resort together, which gave us a good hour or so to get to know each other.

Interestingly enough, the first woman I met was the professional matchmaker. Or shall I say, THE professional matchmaker. Janis Spindel Serious Matchmaking. Janis Spindel Serious Matchmaking, Inc. (can't forgot the Inc.) Introductions were made between us in the van, and in no more than 3 minutes, I knew that Janis was the cover story of the New York Times Magazine last year and was on the Today show numerous times (including this morning.) She had 750 marriages under her belt. Not only that, I was told that I should already be engaged to the man, and that we should have discussed this at the 3 and 6 month marks.

Oh boy, was I in for a fun week.

It got better. Janis brought several copies of her book Get Serious About Getting Married with her to Mexico. Fun! Free beach reading. Nope. Janis was in fact selling her book to her fellow trip mates. And did I tell you that she had 750 marriages under her belt?

Over the next five days, I learned a lot about dating and getting married, thanks to Janis (and her book which I was tricked into buying.) I found out that men like women with long hair and that every woman should own a Pucci or Hermes scarf. It was also revealed that I have walls and it is obvious my parents were divorced.

All that, and a nice suntan too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home