Does Debbie

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Small World

Last night was the wedding of my friend, Tracy. She and her now husband Eric were married downtown at the beautiful Angel Orensanz Foundation. Of course the man came with me as my date.

This was the second wedding we have gone to together; the other wedding was also a friend of mine. The man did not know anyone that that wedding. Last night was quite different.

During the day, I gave him the 411 on who the bride and groom were, how I know them, what to expect, blah blah blah. At the groom's name, a quisitive look grew on his face. Eric P? (yes) Where is he from? (Queens or Long Island) How old is he? (a year older than you and his brother is a year younger than you.) There was definitely recognition, but the connection was not made.

Flash forward 5 hours. The bride and groom are at the altar, exchanging vows. I looked at the man, and he began to smile. I couldn't figure out what was so funny? The reverend conducting the ceremony was humorous, but I don't think that was it. Why was he laughing? Is marriage funny to him?

Then he leaned over and shared the cause of his smile. It turns out he remembered how he knew Eric. It turns out that in college, he used Eric's ID to get him into bars. For one year, my man was Eric P. Small fucking world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home