Does Debbie

Monday, April 24, 2006

Manners are Overrated

They say that after ten years of living in NYC, you are a true New Yorker. I'm not sure who "they" is and I'm not sure what becoming a "true New Yorker" means, but I do know one thing has changed in the 10 1/2 years that I have lived here: I have become ruder. Correction, I have altered my definition of what rude means. Let me share an example:

The other day, I was coming home from work, and about to enter my apartment building (which is secured by two double doors that both require the same key.) My bag was heavy, my keys were at the bottom of my purse, and fortunately, there was a man exiting the building as I was entering. I waited a second or two for Mr. Man to open the door and leave, and then I entered while the door was still open. "You're welcome," escaped Mr. Man's lips as he departed the building. What the fuck did I need to thank him for? A) He was leaving the building. B) He needed to open the door anyway. C) I was on the phone.

I conducted a survey over the weekend to gauge the manners required for such a common situation. The results were mixed. Some felt that a thank you should have been delivered, while others took my side.

The sad thing is, if I lived in Sioux City, I might have said thank you. But I'm a New Yorker, and frankly, manners are overrated.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home