Does Debbie

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Stress Management

At work, we just had this "consultant" come into our office and give us an hour presentation on stress management. He covered all the basics: the physical symptoms of stress, the emotional ones, blah, blah, blah. Nothing new was learned- I just went for the free pizza.

However, in the middle of the presentation, he began discussing exercise, and I made the mistake of asking, before a room full of co-workers, whether it was dangerous to go the gym if you are tired (thinking you might pull a muscle easier.) Mr. Consultant then asked me how often I exercise and how long each time. "3-4 times a week, 45 minutes to an hour each time," came out of my mouth, which was only a half-lie. Half the time I exercise 3-4 times a week, half the time I don't. But I surely didn't want the 94 co-workers in the room with me thinking I was a lazy shit.

At one point, Mr. Consultant referred to our jobs as 9-5 and the room started laughing. He mentioned that one of his clients does his crunches daily. Again, more laughter. And he asked how many of us eat at our desks? I was beginning to feel like we were at a comedy club.

Finally, at 1:29 I began to feel my heart racing and my shoulders ache. After all, I was going to be late for my 1:30 conference call.

On a completely unrelated note, my friend Scott has kindly requested that I plug his upcoming fundraiser for the Get Together Foundation.
https://get-together.org/index.php?lc=bc28af6f750004729474ccbb403bd0ee

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home