Does Debbie

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Convergence

It happened on the phone this afternoon with a friend, "you should check out this website, they have great merchant offers." It wasn't the first time. "We need to optimize our selection of restaurants." My all-time favorite, "I really don't have the bandwidth to go shopping and see a movie this weekend."

You all know what I am talking about: the accidental infusion of our work-speak in our non-work life. The first time it happens, you laugh. But repeatedly, you might wonder if you tipped the work-life balance.

I could go all anthropological here, and refer to our jobs and offices as small micro-countries, each with their own language and habits. But you would call me a geek and never come back.

A co-worker and I thought we should publish glossy index cards for key industries, with a list of the top jargon and catch-phrases. Being in marketing, my index card would include words such as: leverage, engagement and benchmark. People are not people- they are consumers or users. Companies acquire customers; we opt into communications. We look at things holistically. We connect emotionally and rationally.

We love consumer-generated content, like my blog.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home