Does Debbie

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Tuesday Night Poker

When my cell phone rang Tuesday around 6pm, I was surprised to hear my friend Al on the other line. Even more surprising: Al was inviting me to play poker at his apartment that night. Of course, I never turn down a chance to take other people's money, especially money from men. I was going to be the token female at the table.

A few hours later I arrived at Al's and met my competitors, and what an interesting group it was. A writer. A bartender. A former Jean Valjean (he played the role on Broadway in the 90's.) And Cousin Andy. For those of you who haven't gotten the character reference yet, actor Richard Kind was there.

I found Richard's presence there unusual: here is a guy who probably plays poker every week with George Clooney, has been on Celebrity Poker, and yet ponied up $40 to possibly win $200 from our pot.

Of course, I wanted to win. I was the woman, hear me roar. Unfortunately the Poker Gods were not looking out for me as my hands consisted of: 2-5, 4-9, J-2, 3-7... you get the point. Not only did I not win a single hand, I couldn't even bluff my way out of the crap I was dealt.

And to make matters worse: Cousin Andy hit a Royal Flush on the flop.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    You had a night like I did last Friday.

    Which is why I will be taking a slight break from poker for awhile. Losing $25 once a month doesn't feel like a lot. When I realized I lost $250 so far, it kinda stings.

    I'm not a bad player. Just unlucky. My three Kings will always get beaten by a flush. Pocket Aces don't work out for me, as I still have just a pair of Aces in the end which loses to a full boat. And people ALWAYS call my bluff. Dammit.

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
    »

     

Post a Comment

<< Home