Does Debbie

Monday, August 14, 2006

Back to Camp

I had the weirdest day yesterday: I went back to Camp. They were throwing a retirement celebration for one of the Directors, and invited camp alumni to attend. So my sis and I rented a car and off to Camp Saginaw we went.

Sadly, attendance was low and the only other 80's alum was another set of sisters that we were friendly with, but it was great hanging with them. For the most part, Camp looked the same: the campers no longer slept on metal spring beds, but rather nice wooden platforms beds. The older campers were shorter than I recall when I was their age. The chocolate chip cookies tasted amazingly the same.

Man, did I feel old. Most of the campers weren't even born when I was last there, as a counselor in 1993. And when I walked into Bunk S to see my name marked on the rafters, it was very fadded. It was 18 years ago that I was a camper. The girls in the bunk thought is was sooooo cool that someone as old as I was returning.

If you look closely you can see my name, and the dates I was a camper 1984-1988.


1 Comments:

  • At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you read 'The J.A.P. Chronicles' ?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home