Does Debbie

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Heatorexia

Yes, we all know how hot out it is and the awfulness that accompanies the heat. Waking up in the middle of the night when your power flashes on and off, sweating off your make-up within 7 minutes of application, the stench in the streets. But it ain't all bad.

Let me introduce "Heatorexica," the inability to eat due to stifling hot temperatures and humidity. Heatorexia may result in the loss of 3-5 pounds over a two day period.

I am suffering from heatorexia. The past three nights, I have not been able to eat more than a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone for dinner. Maybe a handful of cereal. Monday and Wednesday nights, I walked into the local gourmet shop, staring down the prepared foods. I pondered pesto salmon, I questioned quiche, I considered croquettes. After about 10 minutes of indecisiveness (a cute man asked me what my favorites were last night; that was fun) I left the store, not hungry. Both nights. I just had no appetite, even after going to the gym.

This is so not like me. To know me is to know I like to eat. A lot and often. But I guess I should just sit back, starve, and enjoy the ride.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Ms. Does Debbie,
    Your recent post was brought to my attention by a colleague and compelled me to reply. This eating disorder deserves the same respect as more traditional disorders. And it is not to be mocked or treated humorously! Such actions only serve to undermine the work we've been doing to educate the public, and most importantly, Murray Hill JAPS.

    First, the disorder is not called "Heatorexia" as you so glibly label it. The correct term is "Thermoraexia Neurosa." It was first diagnosed in Wendy Katzenbaum in 1999 during a similar heat wave. You will be happy to know that Wendy made a full recovery the following winter. Thanks in no small part to the diligent counselors at the TC.

    Second, you should be aware that Thermoraexia often goes hand in hand with Shoelemia. But I am not going to give that "disease" more press. If you would like further information, or to speak to one of our conselors, please contact us at help@thermoraexia.org. Your confidentiality will be respected. (Wendy Katzenbaum signed a release allowing us to use her plight to help educate others.)

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Gail said…

    You should try living in Orlando when it is always that hot except a few days of nice winter. Lately, walking outside feels like being inside a microwave.
    I wish it bothered my appetite, however, because I'd like to loose a few pounds. I'd like to be able to say,"I'm eating less" instead of "Yup, just ate another huge, late night dinner and topped it off with a bowl of ice cream."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home