Does Debbie

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm Going to Hell

I had a blind date last week. I figured I should get back out there, and this guy came highly recommended. Good job, two dogs, nice apartment, just moved back from London.

We met at 7pm last Friday at the rooftop hotel bar near my office. Before our date, I asked for a description to make for an easier recognition. He said he was 5'8 (I thought he was making a joke at first. He wasn't.) He also said he was almost 40 (again, another non-joke disappointment.) He showed up, true to form, and we grabbed a drink.

No more than 10 minutes after we sat down, two co-workers entered the otherwise empty bar, and sat directly behind us. They had a perfect view of my non-perfect date. When I got up to go to the bathroom, they called me over, asking if I needed an emergency call. While I was kinda bored, and not so attracted to my date, he was a nice guy and I could stick it out.

Shortly into the date, I told the guy that I had 9:30pm dinner plans which SHOCKED him (he must have lived in London way too long to not understand the importance of back-up plans.) He was slightly hurt, but I needed an out. I couldn't imagine 2 more hours with this dude. He was nice and attractive, there just wasn't a spark.

A little after 9pm, we closed out the tab, walked out of the bar, down the elevator, and out through the lobby. I turned left, he turned right. I snuck behind a pole, watched him get into a taxi and drive away. I then re-entered the lobby, took the elevator up, walked into the bar, and sat down next to my co-workers. I drank a few glasses of sangria, hung out with them for an hour or so, then called it a night and went to bed. Yes, I am going to hell. But I think I'll have friends there at least....

4 Comments:

  • At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don't understand. was it height and age that turned you off, or something less superficial?

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Does Debbie said…

    Ouch. There just wasn't the spark. One can call me many things; superficial is definitely NOT one of them.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    debbie, i would've done the same thing; that 'no spark' thing sucks.

    so what's the story with mr. anon? has he revealed himself yet?

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    You ain't goin to hell for that. For other things, maybe. But that's not the point of this post.

    Really you're lettin the guy off easy. If the spark isn't there, no sense dragging things on. At his age he's probably hardcore looking for someone to spend his life with, so don't waste either of your time.

    And to the first Mr. Anon (who hopefully isn't DD's own personal Anonymous author), it's not about superficial. She even said he was nice and attractive. Some people need that special *click* to happen when they meet someone new.

    Side note: my CAPTCHA was bwzahpxw. With the font style and distortion, I could barely read it. Plus it's spelled wrong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home