Does Debbie

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Junior Varsity

A friend once referred to the men you date when you are over 30-something as Junior Varsity. She went on to explain that most of the good men (The Varsity Team) get snatched up when us women were in our 20's. Which leaves us with JV: not bad players, I mean hey, they still made the team. But they're not winning scholarships, and don't have their pick of hot cheerleaders. Sure, they can still get their way around the bases, but they hit fewer homeruns.

I honestly think it was the most profound reference.

Even perusing briefly through the internet catalogues as of late, has left me with a sense of blahness. No one jumps out of the page and wows me with their dynamic personality and thirst of knowledge. No one is ready for a strong, sexy, independent woman. Women age well; men, well, age.

I know what you're thinking. Maybe the girls left are JV too, blah, bullshit, blah. Which might be possible. Although the women left are the ones who wasted their time with JV, and didn't search for the few Varsity players left. But hey, don't hate the player; hate the game. ; )

4 Comments:

  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    I never really played sports, so I guess I'm more in the waterboy category. Maybe even the science club. *frown*

    At least I wasn't in the Mathletes. That's social suicide. (Mean Girls)

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are divorced people? Red-shirt Freshman?

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, i must say that I interpret this posting as a deliberate attempt to draw further comment from me. There is no need. I relish the thought of commenting continuously on your blog and look forward to reading its daily (or sometimes less than daily) cagey wisdom. Alas, I shall divulge a bit of information. I did indeed play "Varsity" sports and am still athletic but would by no means call myself a "jock." Furthermore, I will no longer date cheerleaders but if you care to wear a cheerleading outfit I would be first in line to gawk. Oh, and finally, I am not the actual anonymous guy. I am just playfully mocking him. Do you filter posts before they get online or will this automatically show? Hmm....

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While often imitated, I am never duplicated, but I did greatly enjoyed the attempt of the prior comment. Nevertheless dear Debbie, I tend to agree with your post with one minor tweak. Even if a guy is no longer varsity or hitting it out of the park for EVERYONE, isn't the only important thing what you think of him. As long as he is your knight in shinning armor, the one that makes you stop wanting to kiss other frogs and the one that gives you reason to smile in the morning, he is then the best. Just as [many] guys may have missed the boat with you and not recognized how incredible you are, is it not possible that [many] girls missed the boat with him and did not realize how unique and special he is. While my statement may be a bit self-serving, please do not lower your expectations or become less picky merely because a guy is on the market after 30. You are special and unique and deserve a guy that will worship you (and before you ask I am not being paid by your mother or sister). One day soon your prince will come and he will want you because of who you are, your age will not be a hinderance and neither should his. Besides, he will also know that women get better with age and at 33 you are no where near your peak...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home