Does Debbie

Monday, September 25, 2006

5767

It's that time of year again. Sort of like Halloween where I get to dress up, but the costume is always "Happy Single Woman Living in NYC and Not Upset Seeing Everyone From My Hometown Married and With 3 Kids." It's also kind of like Thanksgiving, as I get to eat delicious homemade food. But the holiday I am referring to is Rosh Hashana.

5767. This is going to be my year. I can just feel it. That's the best thing about being Jewish. If the calendar year isn't going so well for you, and/or your annual resolutions have gone to hell, you can just start over with the Jewish New Year. It's a whole new year.

I find it weird, though, that the Jewish New Year starts off with a day of fasting 10 days into the New Year. Shouldn't the atonement be on Day 1 or 2 of the New Year? So one can really start of the New Year sinfree? I know, I know, the 10 days in between are the holy days, so you really are not supposed to sin at that time. Is that why Jews can't get married during this time? Cuz it's a sin?

Lots to think about this New Year. And definitely lots to atone for next week. More on that one later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home