Does Debbie

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Making Pie

It's kind of funny. When I told people at work yesterday that I was going home to make Apple Pie, I felt like I was using a synonym for having sex. I probably have American Pie 1, 2 and 3 to thank for this one, and I actually like it. "Wanna make some apple pie tonight honey?" "My oven is hot for your apples." "Nothing beats a crusty outside like a warm, doughy inside." Ok, that's just plain gross.

Regardless, I did make apple pie last night, for the first time. I had gone apple picking in Connecticut on Sunday and had 11 apples up for the challenge. One apple corer, rolling pin, and pie crust mix later, I was good to do. But what a pain to peel and slice those apples. I was told that Williams Sonoma has some amazing tool that does everyone for you, but my apples would have rotted before I made it up to midtown.

Surprisingly, the pie turned out edible. Not great, as the apples were slightly crunchy, but the filling had the perfect combination of cinnamon and brown sugar. And the crust was flaky to a tee. Betty Crocker I am not, but I do have a second recipe in my baking repertoire.

In other news, I have my Halloween costume ready for its first showing at my company's Halloween party this afternoon. I never buy a pre-made costume, but this one was just too funny to pass up. I have parties tomorrow night and Saturday- is it wrong to wear the same costume the whole time?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home