Does Debbie

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

PHS '91

As tradition stands, Thanksgiving weekend serves as the time for high school reunions, usually those that are in increments of 5 years since graduating. In 1996, we had our five-year reunion, which was very well attended- about 120/220. Only one classmate was engaged (at the ripe age of 23,) most of the guys had gotten shorter, and the girls were struggling to lose the rest of the freshman, I mean senior 15 pounds. I was living in NYC, working at an ad agency and single.

Five years later, in 2001, we had our 10-year high school reunion. This one was a mixed bag of emotions. More than half of my classmates were married, and most with kids. I couldn't relate to those that had moved back to Baltimore to marry and procreate. I was still in NYC and the Towers had just fallen. I could care less about their little Ellies and their new homes. I was making a difference working full time at the 9/11 restaurant Ninos. I ran the NYC marathon just weeks before. Interestingly, one of the former high school "freaks" had morphed into this amazingly cool photographer for Calvin Klein. She lived in NYC and invited me to a dinner party for 20 a few weeks later.

This past weekend was our "unofficial" 15-year reunion. An email circulated around. Meet at this bar on Saturday night. 7 of us did, including my two friends in NYC who I talk to all the time. That left 4 others. Three were married. Two had kids. One was a lesbian and a partridge in a pear tree. We spent the hour and half wondering where the remaining 220 of our classmates were. I had one drink and called it a night. Phew, no pressure for not being married. And the best news, I have five years until my next reunion.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:27 PM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    Ah, life in five year increments. I'm guessing by the 20 year reunion there'll be some divorcees.

    I was on the planning committee for our 15 year reunion. I gracefully bowed out when the three other planners said they wanted to make it just like a high school house party. Um, I had enough sense to leave those early at 18, why would I linger at 33? The best part was they only wanted to charge $10/head because people complained the $25/head cover at our 10 year reunion was unaffordable. Did I mention I went to a prep where tuition ran upwards of $15,000?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home