Does Debbie

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cashing In

If you have been a loyal reader, you would know that I set my mother up with her husband, on Match.com back in 1999. They have been happily married for over 6 years, and wouldn't have met if I hadn't written to Jeff on my mother's behalf. "You never know" were words used in that initial correspondence that came all too true.

Flash forward to 2006. My mother has not been working since July, after she left her job doing education/marketing at a non-profit. Month after month, she has been firing off resumes into cyberspace, with not even a reply/read email back. Resumes to Monster, Hotjobs, Company A and Company B went unanswered. An interview wasn't in sight.

However, one Friday afternoon in November, I was reading the bi-weekly Job Newsletter I received from Syracuse's Newhouse School of Communications and came across a job. Not for me, for Mom. It was perfect, some Director of Marketing/Communications for a Non-Profit in Maryland. I sent her the newsletter and suggested she apply.

Within a day of sending her resume, my mother received a phone call requesting a phone interview. Ten days after that (yesterday) she was brought in to interview for two hours with the team. Today, she received an offer and accepted the position. Go Mom!

But I did push hard for the finder's fee. I need money for a down payment on an apartment. How can she say no to me know? : )

2 Comments:

  • At 4:02 PM, Blogger Jessica said…

    "now", not "know" btw.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    I can attest to the fact that Company B isn't hiring. They're actually in a bit of trouble since the the VP of sales left for Test Company, Inc.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home