Does Debbie

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Small World, Act 1

The cell phone rings at 11:14pm and she sees an unfamiliar mobile number appear. Normally she doesn't answer these types of calls, but she was having trouble falling asleep anyway.

She: Hello?
He: Hi, it's X.

She thinkgs for an uncomfortable second who X is and then realizes that he is a potential suitor she gave her number to the week before.

She: (small talk)
He: (small talk)

He: So where do you work?
She: ____
He: No, way! I used to work there years ago!
She: Too funny. What accounts did you work on??
He: AT&T Wireless. Actually, one of my best friends still works there. But it's a large company so you might not know her.
She: Who?
He: _______ ___________

She: That's my boss.

An awkward pause fills the air. She knows he will ask his friend about her He knows she will ask her boss about him.

He: (small talk)
She: (small talk)


2 Comments:

  • At 6:50 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    This world is too small. I have a story of my own, but just so you know, I'm not trying to one-up on you. Your story happening in New York is incredible. Mine takes place in Delaware, where it's mostly expected.

    I went to my cousin's wedding where I met and danced with a cute redhead who lived in southern Virginia. I got her number and called her later. When I found out her last name, I asked if she knew so-and-so. Turns out that's her older brother, whom I graduated high school with years ago.

    Is it wrong to date the cousin of your cousin's husband?

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger James said…

    Ahh, but, if friend/boss said favourable things, that would be good, wouldn't it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home