Does Debbie

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Be My Valentine

Preface: The story I am about to tell you comes after a long day of work, snow, sleet, soggy boots, wine, chocolate dessert, more wine, and Valentine's Day blahness.

At the last minute, my friend Shana and I decided to go to the Gen-Art Anti-Valentine's Day dinner at the Helmsley hotel. She had received comp tickets for a 3-course meal and neither of us wanted to make a big deal out of Valentine's Day, so we were psyched to just eat, drink well and chat.

When we got there, the dining room was about 1/3 full and we were seated in the right wing, where there were no other guests. Weird. So much for chatting it up with other people. In the middle of the room were a handful of all-girls tables and one table of four guys. There were more tables across the way on the left wing. This will all make sense later.

After a scrumptious meal of crab cake, fillet Mignon and wisabi mashed potatoes, we took a breather. Shana balanced her check book. I texted a few friends. We planned upcoming events to attend. All of a sudden, Shana took out her contact lenses and placed them on a purple paper heart (there were stacks of heart post-its on the table to write the names of exes that would then be fed through a shredding machine.) Shana's contacts were old, and she wanted to throw them out. As she put on her glasses, I grabbed the heart-shaped paper and a Sharpie, and wrote next to the contacts, "I can see us together."

I then proceeded to ask one of the "hosts" (dressed in angel wings) to mysteriously deliver this love note to the only table that had two guys seated. They happened to be on the left wing, across the dining room.

Shana and I played it cool while the note was delivered. The guys had no clue who sent it to them. It was great.

However, all of a sudden, we realized what we had just done: we had delivered a pair of used, dried out contact lenses to two guys we had never seen before. What were we thinking?? It was totally disgusting! But you know what, we had a good laugh on Valentine's Day.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    Cute in theory, barf-o-rific in reality. So close but sooooooo far.

    BTW, leaning toward an NYC class (Saturdays starting later in March), so I will 100% be taking you up on the let's-grab-a-drink idea. And I promise my eyes will never be anywhere but on you. I'm not putting out but I'll stare your ass down the entire time. Oh who am I kidding? Two drinks in and I just might put out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home