Does Debbie

Monday, February 19, 2007

Done Debbie

I don't know how to make the next statement without sending like a bitter 30-something year old woman, but I am going to try my dandest.

I am done with dating.

No, I have not met the man of my dreams and am hanging up my hat. Nor have I had a stream of awful dates that left me running to Babes in Toyland for any sexual release (just one or two of those dates.) Rather, I am tired of the let-down. I know, I know, I should go into these dates with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised if there is chemistry. The problem is that there is never chemistry. Or at least not lately. Not since The Man. Somewhat with The Date. The Patriot I never gave a chance.

This feeling I have now, call it disappointment, is one that I know too well. And as much as it sucks, it is comforting in it's familiarity. It's a bad habit I am trying to kick. But I sure as hell know that the way to break this habit is not to feed it with more bad dates. I think it's time for a break. To re-group and re-assess and all those other "re-s." To feel better about myself and muster hope that I will find that special someone.


It's time for a dating break.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger ab said…

    I am so with you on that one! I have officially hung up my jhate hat, and waved goodbye to the disappointment that comes free with purchase.

    Here's to hanging with friends and family, and hopefully (eventually) making a connection in real life that doesn't let me down!

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really really hate to give any advice, because i am not an expert, and you haven't asked, but I think this is totally the wrong attitude. Sorry. The only way to meet someone special is to play the odds. You like to play poker. Sometimes you get a good hand. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes with luck and a bit of skill you can win with a bad hand. Dating is the same. Especially jdating. If you are looking for Mr. One in a Million, you have to meet one million guys. I exagerate. Fine. But you should be meeting 100s of guys a year aggressively. You should be on a quick drink date twice a week, and then do something social to meet more on the weekends. And this should be the TOP priority. Not work. Not working out. Not even getting a new place. And you should not be looking for that instant attraction. There is a reason all the classic fairy tales are about frogs or beasts turning to princes. It's a timeless human metaphor for seeing the real person over time, instead of the surface. Now is not the time to be scaling back your dating activities, if anything, now is the time to be increasing them. You should have more faith in jdate and match, and also try other things. try a live matchmaker. and sign up for nightly activities that allow you to meet people. The only men you should be initially dismissing out of hand are men who are married, live more than 50 miles away, or are abusive/mean to you. A boring guy might become interesting if you get to know him more. An unattractive guy might become more attractive to you. And an arrogant guy might let down his artifice to show you his real self.

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    Dating breaks are a good thing. And based on that eye ratio thingy ou noted in a previous post, I think a break is a good idea

    Chill out, live life, have fun, be happy. Everything else will fall into place when you're too busy having fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home