Does Debbie

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Chapter Ends

So today is my last day of work. Not forever, obviously, as I start my new job on Monday. But after almost four years, I am leaving my current company. My emotions are mixed, as I definitely have made great friends here, learned from an incredibly talented group of people, and had fun along the way. When I sent my contact information out to my co-workers yesterday, I included a list of top 10 memories. Of course, none of these would make any sense to you (unless you work with me) so I am not going to share them here. But there is one memory that I remembered after I sent the list, that continues to make me laugh.

Every year, my company has an event called Food Fest. Basically, it is a cooking competition where employees cook their favorite dishes and everyone samples the various food. People vote for their favorite dish, and the winner gets a gift certificate or something like that. Mind you, there are over 600 people at my company, so you need to get there within the first 15 minutes to get any food. In years past I made my chocolate chip banana bread and sesame chicken.

Anyway, a few years ago, on the day of Food Fest, a large group of us went to Blue Smoke for a co-workers going away lunch. As usual, we had way too many ribs, side dishes of mac & cheese, and chocolate cake. There were so many ribs left over that I dared my co-worker Dave to bring them back to the office and serve them in Food Fest, claiming he made them.

Next thing we knew, Dave had a serving dish full of "BS Family Ribs" out during Food Fest. And they were the talk of Food Fest. Everyone was asking, "did you try the ribs?" People were voting for the ribs; they were heading towards a Food Fest blue ribbon. And the eights of us that knew of the rib's true origin were dying.

Eventually Dave confessed to the judges that the ribs weren't really homemade. He was disqualified. But we all got a great story out of it.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    No Debbie, it's MY chocolate chip banana bread :-)

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi everyone,

    I just designed a new dating website that I hope you will enjoy. It will go live in about 2 months.

    Meet-n-speak.com

    I put a new twist to online dating--the ability to speak to other members--right from your own computer.

    If you find someone you like, you can request to voice chat with them if they are online.


    All you need is a mic and headphones.

    There is no cost. Ever! 100% free.

    check it out!

    Again, I am going live in 2 months but I want to have members create their profiles beforehand.

    Have fun!

    Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home