Does Debbie

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Yiddish for Wasps

I miss my old office mate Krissy. Many a day was spent with us singing along to the love songs blaring from her radio, or trying to score tickets to some concert, like Madonna. The other thing I loved most about sharing an office with Krissy was the big, "Shalom" she used to greet me with daily. Now I should probably note that Krissy is really Kristen, has blond hair, is from Boston, and definitely the WASPiest person I know. But she loves her Hebrew.

Since Krissy departed for another ad agency, our contact is now limited to the occasional dinner, but more frequent IM. I thought the one from today deserved posting here.

Me: I forgot to tell you another phrase

Me: Kena Hora
Krissy: ooo what's that
Me: like "oh geez!!!!!"
Krissy: oh vey
Me: It's pronounced kah-nah
Krissy: whore- rah

Me: ken rhymes with pen
Krissy: so ken- nah
Krissy: whore-rah
Me: kena hora (like horror but with an a instread of or)
Me: not whore-a
Me: horr-a
Me: lol, I have to post this on my blog
Krissy: make me proud. you better not write a load of schlock

3 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie Green said…

    Are we doing the blog thing? Haven't heard from stern in a while; just checked the domain name and it's gone! Let's grab SSRI Stories!!!

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Jessica said…

    Oy, Gevalt! Quit this mishigaas, bubelah.

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it means "knock on wood"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home