Does Debbie

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Sure Beats the Bar

I feel like I have been on 200 first dates in the past ten years or so. I mean, you have to take out the 18 months I was with The Man, the 18 months I was with Jeff, and probably another 24 months of committed 3-8 month relationships. Actually, I have no idea whether it was 100 or 200, but the point is, I have had my share of first dates.

And while nothing beats the smooth taste of a chilled Savignaun Blanc gliding down my throat, first dates in bars are somewhat of a cliche. Let's grab drinks. Let's drink to ease the pressure of meeting a total stranger. Let's drink so I find you attractive. Let's drink and make out (like that happens on a first date!)

Anyway, I think I have mastered the art of the non-bar first date. While it is rude to suggest where to go when the guy is asking you out, sometimes you just have to. You just do.

So, here are a few highlights of non bar dates that were, surprisingly, much better than the companionship of my good friend, Wine.

1) Church of Scientology on 42nd Street (you can get stress tested together and take a tour! The highlight of this date was when being showed L. Ron Hubbard's office, my date asked if he works out of it often. Um, L. Ron Hubbard is dead.)

2) Tattoo parlor. No we didn't get them, but I wanted one at the time and we browsed the numerous catalogues and wall art.

I'll share a few more later.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    did you talk to marybeth yet?

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    Those are two date activities that would easily send a Jewish mother over the edge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home