Does Debbie

Monday, May 07, 2007

Mini Vacation

This time I have a valid excuse for my lack of writing: I was in the Dominican Republic for an old co-worker's wedding. Now, it wouldn't be a Debbie vacation unless there was some element of drama. Fever in Belize, broken nose in Aruba, lost luggage in Peru- you get the point.

Well, within one hour of my journey on Thursday, I was not disappointed. We were climbing the skies and beginning to fly over the Atlantic, me and the rest of Continental Flight 878 when the pilot came on the loud speaker. "Ladies and Gentleman, we are going to have to return to Newark. We smelled smoke as did some of the passengers. We don't smell it anymore, but we are going to have this checked out just to be safe. Especially as we're flying over the Atlantic."

Now, I am one for safety and appreciate the caution in this situation, but why did the pilot decide to turn around AFTER he smelled smoke. Shouldn't the second his finely trimmed nose hairs got a slight whiff of anything related to FIRE, the plane makes that U-ie.

I'm not a bad flyer so the thought of crashing didn't enter my mind. I swear. At that moment, I was more pissed that I was about to lose prime sun time in the Domincan. Ugh. I would lose a day of sun, which meant that I would not be able to scuba dive because then I would have no time in the sun. Crap.

Well it turned out that not only did we return to Newark, we all got the hell of the plane and boarded a new one, over an hour later. Then we had to patiently wait while a pair of geriatric travelers lost a battle to nerves and decided not to get back on the plane. Our plane arrived safely in the DR, 3 hours later than planned. Hell, at least I got upgraded to first class on the flight home.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Paige Jennifer said…

    My favorite plane drama was when we taxied the runway for a quick 20 minute flight from NY to Philly and the pilot came on to announce we were going back to the gate. Not enough fuel. Um, I'm sorry, what?

    I lurv the first class upgrade.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home