Does Debbie

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Caaaaarlos

The turn of the millenium was amazing. My best friend Kim pursuaded me to go on a 12-day cruise to the Carribbean. Although we went on a Carnival Cruise, it turned into the Love Boat (I know, that sounds totally cheesy, but work with me here.) Kim, myself and our third friend all found romance aboard the big seas, with my beau hailing from Puerto Rico, where he was in law school (and his father was an anasthesiologist.) His name was Carlos. Technically, his name was Carlos, something Latino, something Latino, Perez. Regardless, I won the "score the hottest guy on the trip" award.

I won't bore you with all the details from the cruise, or my several trips to Puerto Rico post cruise. But I will share a story from Aruba, where we docked one day.

In addition to my two friends, we met two cousins from Toronto, and two other girls from NYC. In Aruba, day 5 of the cruise, we all decided to go out on the big yellow raft, the Banana Boat. What fun. Seven of us being carried across the clear-blue Carribbean, bumping up and down, and screaming with laughter. Then, water. The driver of the boat found it fun to "tip" our banana, send us shooting below the water, body parts flying everywhere. The tipping was fun the first time. But that's where the fun ended.

On the second "tip," my friend RA's elbow ended up in my nose and I ended up with a black eye. I was hysterical- in pain, bleeding, and scared I looked like a freak. What would Carlos think? Why do these things only happen to me? (see http://doesdebbie.blogspot.com/2005/03/disastrous-aura.html ) for other examples.

After the accident, my friends propped me up on a lounge chair, ice in tow. I felt like I was going to diet, or even worse, vomit. The pain, the puffiness, the peril. Then out of nowhere came Carlos. Like an angel from the sky (just kidding, barf.) Seriously, he couldn't have been any nicer- he helped me back to the boat, and proceeded to hang out with me for the remaining 7 days of the trip. And the black eye stayed the entire time.

Lesson learned from this one: The damsel in distress is a good card to play. Either that, or date people with language barrriers.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home